The laser cut case parts actually arrived quite a while ago now, but the PCBs have arrived this morning.
Laser Cut Case
The great people at RazorLab managed to cut and deliver my parts in just a few days. A really good service and I am amazed to see that it actually fits together properly! I just need to file down 1 edge but that was part of the initial design.
The Printed Circuit Boards
I was originally going to go with a cheap PCB from china, but decided that I would prefer a higher quality board so went with OSH Park and I am very glad I did. The quality of the boards is excellent and the colour looks great too. Seeing as they are made on a shared panel it didn’t take as long as I thought for them to arrive. I ordered on the 29th July and they arrived today so took around 3.5 weeks.
Of course I have made the obligatory error on the board though it should be ok to fix. I connected to the wrong power supply to the 4050 chip so rather than converting the logic from +5v to +3v it just goes from +5v to +5v Doh! Hopefully I can put in a nice piece of bodge wire to reroute this connection and solve the problem 🙂
Putting it together
I have also tested the fit of the board into the pre cut holes in the bottom part of the case and it fits too. I am now just hoping my standoffs are tall enough to support the battery holder on the bottom of the board.
Now it just leaves me to build up a board and start writing some of the software. I have written some of the UI stuff already and have previously implemented a PID for the Arduino for controlling a slow cooker so it should all start coming together quite quickly now.